Turtles/ID

Question
Front
Front  

Shell and the side
Shell and the side  
Hi, I got a turtle a few days ago and would like to know what specie is it so I can give it proper care . Thanks.

Answer
Hi Kristina,

It's a box turtle.  However, as far as I know, in NY you cannot possess a box turtle without a permit from the department of wildlife, and you can't collect box turtles from the wild.  I don't know how difficult it is to obtain a permit, but you'd have to be able to establish that you got the turtle from a legitimate source, and that may not be easy since the turtle is almost certainly not captive bred.  If this is a recently collected wild turtle, it needs to be released where it was found.  Since you didn't say where you got the turtle, I can't be more exact than that.  If you need more information, post back with more details and I'll do what I can to help.

Turtles

Jeannie