Turtles/pale turtle

My son has a mud turtle. I. have noticed that she's pale in her color on her neck and head. Her shell is changing color too. Is turning more yellow... Can you tell me what can it be? How can I take care of her?

Hi Denise,

I need more information in order to help you.  I need to know the following:

1)  How long he's had the turtle and how big it is

2)  The size of the tank and type of filtration system

3)  The type (brand) of basking and UVB bulbs

4)  Water and basking temperatures

5)  Complete diet

A clear picture would also help so I can see exactly what you're talking about.  With more information, I can give you better advice.  Thanks!

Questions regarding husbandry of Russian tortoises and other Mediterranean species, sulcata, and redfoot tortoises; general tortoise and turtle care; box turtle care. If I can't answer a specific question, I can provide sources for further research. Disclaimer: My advice is not a substitute for vet care. If I think your tortoise/turtle has a specific medical condition or injury that warrants a vet visit, I'll tell you so, and if possible I'll help you locate a vet. It is neither legal nor ethical for me to provide veterinary advice.

I have kept and bred Russian tortoises for over ten years and have other Mediterranean species plus redfoots and box turtles. I've worked with other tortoise and turtle species while doing volunteer rescue work; mostly sulcata but some leopards, California desert tortoises, yellowfoots, all box turtle species, red-eared sliders, etc. I don't personally keep aquatic species, but have access to a wealth of information and research to help you with any questions you might have.

My knowledge is based on hands-on experience keeping, breeding, and working with tortoises and turtles.