Yesterday, I was fishing n caught a turtle by the arm! Now I never seen this kind of turtle, I had to take a picture lol! Anyway I look n I can not find one! This turtle had , what appeared to be a soft shell with his spine visible! Now he was dark green with white circle spots on him, and a pointy nose can anyone help me please thank you!

Hi Charles,

It's a softshell turtle.  I couldn't tell from the picture, but from your description it sounds like a smooth softshell.  The other softshell native to Texas is the spiny softshell, but they have bumps or spines on the shell.  Softshells can get pretty big, and they do have strong jaws and can bite hard, so if you come across another one be careful with your fingers!  Very cool thing to see, though.

Questions regarding husbandry of Russian tortoises and other Mediterranean species, sulcata, and redfoot tortoises; general tortoise and turtle care; box turtle care. If I can't answer a specific question, I can provide sources for further research. Disclaimer: My advice is not a substitute for vet care. If I think your tortoise/turtle has a specific medical condition or injury that warrants a vet visit, I'll tell you so, and if possible I'll help you locate a vet. It is neither legal nor ethical for me to provide veterinary advice.

I have kept and bred Russian tortoises for over ten years and have other Mediterranean species plus redfoots and box turtles. I've worked with other tortoise and turtle species while doing volunteer rescue work; mostly sulcata but some leopards, California desert tortoises, yellowfoots, all box turtle species, red-eared sliders, etc. I don't personally keep aquatic species, but have access to a wealth of information and research to help you with any questions you might have.

My knowledge is based on hands-on experience keeping, breeding, and working with tortoises and turtles.