Turtles/Turtle

Question
Turtle
Turtle  
Yesterday, I was fishing n caught a turtle by the arm! Now I never seen this kind of turtle, I had to take a picture lol! Anyway I look n I can not find one! This turtle had , what appeared to be a soft shell with his spine visible! Now he was dark green with white circle spots on him, and a pointy nose can anyone help me please thank you!

Answer
Hi Charles,

It's a softshell turtle.  I couldn't tell from the picture, but from your description it sounds like a smooth softshell.  The other softshell native to Texas is the spiny softshell, but they have bumps or spines on the shell.  Softshells can get pretty big, and they do have strong jaws and can bite hard, so if you come across another one be careful with your fingers!  Very cool thing to see, though.

Turtles

Jeannie