Turtles/Redfoot tail

A few days ago I went to get my female red foot from her indoor pen to take her to her outdoor pen. Her tail appeared to be turned inside out. It had some mulch stick to it which I quickly removed and shortly after he tail fixed itself. I continued to watch it but it seemed a little swollen still. I then gave her a warm soak as it usually triggers good bowel movement. It did, and there appeared to be grass and paper in the stool. She has since been having movements on her own but they are runnier than normal. I have had her for 2 years and she has never laid eggs.

Hi Leslie,

I need more information in order to help you.  How big is your tortoise?  Could you describe both indoor and outdoor enclosures, and her diet?  In addition, please describe exactly what it looked like when her tail seemed to turn inside out.  I'll post back again as soon as I hear from you.

I'm concerned that she may have had an anal prolapse that corrected itself.  If this was the case, you need to consult a vet to determine the cause of the prolapse, because it will certainly happen again.  In the meantime, make sure she is very well-hydrated--being kept too dry is often a cause of bladder stones, which can lead to prolapse.  

Questions regarding husbandry of Russian tortoises and other Mediterranean species, sulcata, and redfoot tortoises; general tortoise and turtle care; box turtle care. If I can't answer a specific question, I can provide sources for further research. Disclaimer: My advice is not a substitute for vet care. If I think your tortoise/turtle has a specific medical condition or injury that warrants a vet visit, I'll tell you so, and if possible I'll help you locate a vet. It is neither legal nor ethical for me to provide veterinary advice.

I have kept and bred Russian tortoises for over ten years and have other Mediterranean species plus redfoots and box turtles. I've worked with other tortoise and turtle species while doing volunteer rescue work; mostly sulcata but some leopards, California desert tortoises, yellowfoots, all box turtle species, red-eared sliders, etc. I don't personally keep aquatic species, but have access to a wealth of information and research to help you with any questions you might have.

My knowledge is based on hands-on experience keeping, breeding, and working with tortoises and turtles.