Turtles/My turtle have eye infection

What should I do?My freshwater green turtle have eye infection.It never seems to eat.It was just yesterday.Could it  be because the water is not clean?

Hi Christy,

If you can tell me the species name, I can give you better advice.  Eye infections are almost always due to having a tank that is too small, or poor water quality.  Clean water is extremely important.  What symptoms are you seeing?  How big is the turtle?  Roughly, you should figure on having at least 10 gallons of tank for each inch of the turtle's length, so if the turtle is 5 inches, the tank should be at least 50 gallons.  The filter should be sized to handle at least twice the tank's capacity, so for a 50 gallon tank you'd need a filter for a 100 gallon tank.  In addition, there should be a basking area that also has a UVB bulb (special reptile bulb).  Lack of UVB could also cause swollen eyes and poor appetite.  If you can provide more information about how you are keeping your turtle, I can give you better help.  

Questions regarding husbandry of Russian tortoises and other Mediterranean species, sulcata, and redfoot tortoises; general tortoise and turtle care; box turtle care. If I can't answer a specific question, I can provide sources for further research. Disclaimer: My advice is not a substitute for vet care. If I think your tortoise/turtle has a specific medical condition or injury that warrants a vet visit, I'll tell you so, and if possible I'll help you locate a vet. It is neither legal nor ethical for me to provide veterinary advice.

I have kept and bred Russian tortoises for over ten years and have other Mediterranean species plus redfoots and box turtles. I've worked with other tortoise and turtle species while doing volunteer rescue work; mostly sulcata but some leopards, California desert tortoises, yellowfoots, all box turtle species, red-eared sliders, etc. I don't personally keep aquatic species, but have access to a wealth of information and research to help you with any questions you might have.

My knowledge is based on hands-on experience keeping, breeding, and working with tortoises and turtles.