Turtles/Shell rot

Question
QUESTION: My 1 year old Mississippi map turtle I recently bought has he has maybe 4 to 5 penny sized spots. I was wondering if it is bad enough to where I should take him to a vet.

ANSWER: Hi Morgan,

A year old map turtle isn't very big, so with that much shell rot I'd advise a vet visit.  Also, make sure the tank is an adequate size and the filter is good enough to keep the water very clean. Many shell and skin issues are due to poor water quality.  Let me know if I can be of further help.  If you can post some clear pictures, I can get a better idea of the extent of the problem.

QUESTION: Ok thank you for answering my question. I have one more. What do they do when I take him to the vet?

Answer
Hi Morgan,

A good vet will ask questions regarding setup and diet, will. examine the turtle and determine the extent of the shell rot as well as any other issues, and then give you a treatment plan and any needed medication.  In this case, this will probably consist of topical medication and dry docking for a certain period of time daily, as well as keeping the water very clean.  

If you just bought him, you might also want to consider getting your money back.. Shell rot doesn't develop overnight, and with that much of it the store should have been aware of the condition.

Turtles

Jeannie