My water turtle I had in the back yard in a container. My turtle got out and was lost in the yard for 2 1/2 days. I put water containers through out the yard thinking maybe he could smell the water. We found the turtle 2 1/2 days later. He was weak we put him in water and a couple of hours later I feed him. I would like to find him a good home, can you help. Thank you Phyllis

HI Phyllis,

The turtle should not have been weak from lack of food after just a couple of days, but if it was very hot that could have made a difference.  You didn't say what species you have, and that can make a difference in finding a good home.  If it's an RES (red-eared slider), it may be very difficult because they require so much room and rescues are already full of them.  If it's a less common species, it might be less difficult.  

If you are near Phoenix, you can contact the Phoenix Herp Society:  http://www.phoenixherp.com.  You can also try the Arizona Herp Society.  I'm not sure if they do adoptions, but they may be able to direct you to someone who can help.  But again, if you have a RES, please be aware that many rescues will no longer take them,

Questions regarding husbandry of Russian tortoises and other Mediterranean species, sulcata, and redfoot tortoises; general tortoise and turtle care; box turtle care. If I can't answer a specific question, I can provide sources for further research. Disclaimer: My advice is not a substitute for vet care. If I think your tortoise/turtle has a specific medical condition or injury that warrants a vet visit, I'll tell you so, and if possible I'll help you locate a vet. It is neither legal nor ethical for me to provide veterinary advice.

I have kept and bred Russian tortoises for over ten years and have other Mediterranean species plus redfoots and box turtles. I've worked with other tortoise and turtle species while doing volunteer rescue work; mostly sulcata but some leopards, California desert tortoises, yellowfoots, all box turtle species, red-eared sliders, etc. I don't personally keep aquatic species, but have access to a wealth of information and research to help you with any questions you might have.

My knowledge is based on hands-on experience keeping, breeding, and working with tortoises and turtles.