Turtles/ashy skin

My turtle skin looks ashy kind of a white power is in his cracks of his skin. Is it a fungus?

Hi Ralynn,

I need more information in order to help you.  The problem could be fungus or something else.  Can you post back with the following information:

1)  Species of turtle, size/age, and how long you've had him
2)  Size of tank and type of filter
3)  Water and basking temperatures
4)  Type of basking/UVB bulbs
5)  Complete diet
6)  Any other symptoms, such as lethargy, lack of appetite, wheezing, etc.

If you could also provide a clear picture of the problem area, that would help too.  Thanks!

Questions regarding husbandry of Russian tortoises and other Mediterranean species, sulcata, and redfoot tortoises; general tortoise and turtle care; box turtle care. If I can't answer a specific question, I can provide sources for further research. Disclaimer: My advice is not a substitute for vet care. If I think your tortoise/turtle has a specific medical condition or injury that warrants a vet visit, I'll tell you so, and if possible I'll help you locate a vet. It is neither legal nor ethical for me to provide veterinary advice.

I have kept and bred Russian tortoises for over ten years and have other Mediterranean species plus redfoots and box turtles. I've worked with other tortoise and turtle species while doing volunteer rescue work; mostly sulcata but some leopards, California desert tortoises, yellowfoots, all box turtle species, red-eared sliders, etc. I don't personally keep aquatic species, but have access to a wealth of information and research to help you with any questions you might have.

My knowledge is based on hands-on experience keeping, breeding, and working with tortoises and turtles.