Turtles/Turtle transfer

Question
What is the best way to transport my 10 year old, Male, Western Painted turtle?
I'm moving 150 miles.

How do I keep him calm, and stress free for this journey?

Answer
Not hard at all. I moved my fiance with her Painted and RES turtles from PA to TX, which was over 1200 miles. 150 miles isn't a very long ride at all. I'd actually be more concerned that you have proper UVB lighting and large enough housing for him (such as 75 gallon or larger) which he lives in the entire rest of his life, than the effects of a relatively short transport that will take just a few hours.

Just wrap him loosely in a towel and place in a cardboard box, close the lid to keep it dark and this will reduce activity, possibility of injury from his own movement, and stress. Keep out of direct sunlight, don't put him in the back of a hot trailer or the bed of a truck, and don't have air conditioning blowing right on him, and he will be fine. If you want you can mist his eyes half way through to keep them moist, but I probably wouldn't even bother, I would just get to the destination because this is only a few hours of driving. We transported the turtles in clear plastic sterilite bins in the trunk and lowered the rear seat back so that they could be observed without stopping, but air conditioning was not blowing on them. It was 2 days driving and we gave them enough water to drink and let them walk around in the grass a little when we stopped to rest/eat/sleep for any great amount of time, which was only about 4 times through 4 states.  

Turtles

Mick