Turtles/Turtle eggs

Question
Eggs
Eggs  
QUESTION: Hello, I'm sorry for bothering you. I ride horses and have a thoroughbred named Troy. So anyway, they were cleaning out the outdoor arena and found turtle eggs, their either . The barn  manager gave them to me because I have six turtles (3 red eared sliders, 2 Mississippi maps, 1 yellow bellied cooter) so I know how to care for them, I've had them since they were the size of a penny, now their each over 5 inches. One is a foot long though, I got her when she was a juvenile. I have heat lamps, hear pads  and spare cages. I need to know how warm I should keep them and things like that. Thanks a lot!
Sincerely,
Hadley

ANSWER: Where the heck is this exactly? Is this near the coast or a marsh area? They should have been LEFT alone in place, because chances are because they were moved, if these are reptile eggs, that they are dead now or soon will be with you carting them around in a bucket. Reptile eggs are not to be turned over! If these are turtle eggs, they look like they could be terrapin or snapping turtles, which all would be illegal in your state to possess as I recall. You need to contact Harriet Forrester, Turtle Rescue of New Jersey, 176 Stillwater Rd., Hardwick NJ 07825 908-362-7747 to turn them over to someone who knows what to do with them if they are too have ANY chance of living. AND YOU NEED TO CONTACT HER TODAY! If they're still alive now, they have only a few hours to stay alive if you don't know what you are doing to care for reptile eggs already. Don't be selfish with their lives and foolishly try to keep them. Turn them over to an expert who already knows what to do if you want to save their lives.

QUESTION: thank you, they were gonna get crushed in the ring so they were given to me, my grandpa actually happens to be an expert, he studies turtles.

Answer
Hmm. well unless he's a biologist or wildlife rehabilitator then I'd doubt it, and if he's not then keeping those eggs is still most likely illegal in NJ because they look like Snapper or diamondback terrapin eggs to me. You need to get in touch with the wild turtle rehabilitator I gave you the information for. I think what you're not getting is that regardless of whether you think your grandfather is an "expert", if he is not a state accredited biologist or rehabber, then it is illegal to keep them.  

Turtles

Mick