Turtles/red foot tortoise

Question
My year old tortoise has a red sack hanging out of his bum not sure how long it's been out near st vet is 2 hours away and I can't get in till tomorrow at 3

Answer
Hi Angela,

It's almost certain that your tortoise has a prolapse.  He needs to see a vet as soon as you can get him in (tomorrow).  Get him off substrate and onto clean, wet paper towels.  He needs to be kept moist so the area doesn't dry out.  Spray the area down every few hours.  You can also try soaking the area in a heavy sugar solution (50/50 sugar/sterile water) to shrink the tissue and see if it will retract.  But even if it does, the tortoise needs to go to the vet for diagnosis and further treatment.  Usually they need to stitch the prolapse in for at least a few days so it doesn't reoccur.

Because of your tortoise's age, it's most likely an intestinal prolapse, not penile.  This can be due to problems with how the tortoise is being kept.  If you can post back and let me know exactly how you have him set up (enclosure, substrate, temps, heat/UVB, diet), I can help you pinpoint if any changes are needed.  Good luck, and let me know how he's doing.

Turtles

Jeannie