Turtles/turtle sleeping

turtle in water
turtle in water  

turtle in water
turtle in water  
Now the turtle is in the water like this after a few hours on basking ramp with uvb. Hes just floating in the water. He likes to hide under the ramp.

Hi Alan,

I think it's a bit encouraging that he's in the water, even though his eyes are still closed.  If he was really weak, he wouldn't be moving from the basking spot.  Ideally he should be moving back and forth between the water and basking, but let's see how it goes.  Keep me posted.

Questions regarding husbandry of Russian tortoises and other Mediterranean species, sulcata, and redfoot tortoises; general tortoise and turtle care; box turtle care. If I can't answer a specific question, I can provide sources for further research. Disclaimer: My advice is not a substitute for vet care. If I think your tortoise/turtle has a specific medical condition or injury that warrants a vet visit, I'll tell you so, and if possible I'll help you locate a vet. It is neither legal nor ethical for me to provide veterinary advice.

I have kept and bred Russian tortoises for over ten years and have other Mediterranean species plus redfoots and box turtles. I've worked with other tortoise and turtle species while doing volunteer rescue work; mostly sulcata but some leopards, California desert tortoises, yellowfoots, all box turtle species, red-eared sliders, etc. I don't personally keep aquatic species, but have access to a wealth of information and research to help you with any questions you might have.

My knowledge is based on hands-on experience keeping, breeding, and working with tortoises and turtles.