Turtles/Razorback Musk Turtle Behavior

Question
I have two razorback musk turtles and have had them for about 1 1/2 years. They were newly hatched when I bought them. Their tails are the same as each other, making me think that they are the same sex and I think they are males. I often see that one will get on top of the other and lock its legs around the other.It will try to look directly in the other's face, but I don't see any real biting happening. I have observed that it is not consistently the same turtle that is dominant. I am not sure if this is just a territorial behavior or what. I have not seen so far any need to set them up in separate tanks. Just would like your opinion on what these guys are thinking... Thank you

Answer
Hi Sarah,

Your turtles are too young to sex.  All turtles look female until they're mature, and that really depends on growth rate rather than age, but generally captive turtles wouldn't be mature until at least 4 years old (and more than 5 years would be better, growth-wise).  So your turtles have some time to go.  

My guess would be that it's a territorial behavior.  I don't know about musk turtles specifically, but it's not uncommon for bullying to occur, especially if the tank isn't big enough for two turtles.  You didn't say how big your tank is, but make sure it's an adequate size--at least 50 gallons if your turtles are 3-4" .  Make sure you provide sight breaks for the bottom--rocks, sunken logs, plants, etc.--and a hide cave is a good idea as well.  If there's enough room and at least some natural features, territorialism tends to be much reduced.  

Turtles

Jeannie