Turtles/sick turtle?

I have two red eared sliders, approx 6-7 years old. They are in an indoor pond about 150g. The water stays around 24 degrees and they have a solar sun light on half the pond at all times, two basking areas and a dark spot. They eat every other day. We make homemade food consisting of greens (usually kale or spinach), carrots, tomato, banana and apples. We sprinkle in some turtle pellets in the mix and some calcium powder. These get frozen into cubes and they're fed in a separate feeding tank. I think I answered all your prerequisites and i apologize if I left anything out.

I came home today and noticed orange liquid in the basking area. I'm not sure if it's diarrhea or vomit possibly. They have been acting normal and eating. I've been noticing one of them have been scratching their back feet while basking.

Thanks in advance

ANSWER: I'm not sure what 24 degrees is offhand. Don't use it here. What's that in F, and what is the basking area temps? I also need to know what are solar sun lights? If you're using basking spot lighting, I ask for the brand, type, wattage, etc. What is the specific brand of pellets you are using? How large are your basking areas? I'm betting you have no dry land area with soil? I'm also betting one is a female?

QUESTION: We discovered one had laid eggs and it broke. Thanks for your time.

Yes...I knew very well what it was the moment I saw the photo. And that also is why I was asking for further information, such as the soil area being present among other questions, which you seem to feel isn't necessary now. I guess I shouldn't be at all surprised.   

So, let me break it down for you. Your female, since she did not have an adequate nesting area, held the eggs in and became EGG BOUND. That's why the egg broke. And this means she's still carrying many more, and this means she is now likely septic and is going to die without veterinary intervention to remedy both her egg binding, and the infection that's likely going to result from her retaining eggs too long because you don't have a proper set up for her. I hope that is clear, and you may NOW thank me for my time. Get yourself educated as well.  

YOU WILL GET A REJECTION OF YOUR QUESTION IF YOU FAIL TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO QUESTIONER IN FULL!!. I am primarily here to assist with health concerns. I am here for the more difficult questions. Not for questions that you could research and easily find the answer yourself. I have stringent standards that you provide DETAILED and RELEVANT background history on your pet before you ask me ANY question about it other than GENDER or ID. The requested information is in the instructions to questioner. Failure to answer EACH of those questions to provide that background will result in your question being REJECTED. I can answer questions related reptile husbandry, identification (esp. in Texas and the SW), legal aspects, and intermediate-advanced level medical care. I am the director of Wichita Falls Reptile Rescue (TX), a wildlife rehabilitator specializing in reptiles, a founding member of The Society for Horned Lizard Preservation, a subscriber to the International Veterinary Information Service,,, and a Dept of State Health Services certified animal control instructor (CE) for reptile handling. I do most of my own veterinary care in-house. I am most experienced in Chelonia (turtles&torts) with box turtles and common smaller tortoises; and in Squamata (lizards & snakes) with everything from Anoles, Geckos, Beardies, and Monitors, to venomous snakes. I am most known for my expertise with horned lizards (Phrynosoma). With snakes, my primary expertise is in Crotalids (rattlesnakes), but I can answer a broad range of questions about various species. I am not aware of any reptile related question, in general, that I would not be able to provide some reasonable answer for. I have a direct style and may tell you something you did not want to hear; but the welfare of the animal comes first with me, and I will always reflect that position in my answer.

I am an amateur herpetologist, with 20+ years experience in reptiles. I am a reptile rescuer and subscriber to the International Veterinary Information Service. I have medical and scientific resources available, and have had to learn herp medical care over the years. I am not a vet, but I read from the same materials and have had to correct a few in the past, as it related to reptiles. My specific area of expertise is in Chelonians ( primary- Box Turtles ), Phrynosoma ( Horned Lizards ), and Crotalids ( primary- Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes ); though I have some knowledge and/or experience also with aquatic turtles ( primary- Red Eared Sliders ), tortoises ( primary-Sulcata and Horsfieldii ), monitors ( primary- Savannah ), many other smaller lizards, and with some colubrid snakes.

I am currently the caretaker of 5 Horned Lizards, 22 Box Turtles, 18 aquatic turtles, 7 fire Bellied Toads, 3 Green Iguanas, 1 Spiny Lizard, 1 Bullsnake, 5 Eastern Ratsnakes, 4 Great Plains x Eastern Ratsnakes, 1 Albino Great Plains Ratsnake, 1 Massasauga Rattlesnake, 1 Leopard Gecko, 7 Fox Squirrels, 2 Deer Mice, 2 Hispid Cotton Rats, 3 Merriam's Pocket Mice, 1 Cotton-Tail, 1 Former racing pigeon, and 1 Budgie. Previously: Leopard Geckos, Golden Gecko, African White-Spotted Wall Gecko, Mediterranean Geckos, Bahama Anoles, Ca. Kingsnake, Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes, Russian Tortoise, Savannah Monitor, and Eastern Cotton-tail rabbits.

Co-Founder & Director: Wichita Falls Reptile Rescue

Founder: The Society for Horned Lizard Preservation

Publications contributor. The Horned Lizard Husbandry Manual - self published 75 pages of care information on genus Phrynosoma.

Wikipedia entry "Horned Lizards" - contributed to a majority of the content., and various reptile related forums and email lists under the handles "fireside3" and PhrynosomaTexas".

My 20+ yrs of hands-on field, rehabilitation, and captive husbandry experience beats a PhD any day of the week. I am also a state accredited animal control instructor for reptile handling.

I was requested to provide my care manual on the Desert Horned Lizard (Phrynosoma platyrhinos), for the Montreal zoo. My manual is also used by several other zoological institutions in N. America. I also teach reptile education to summer camps, and instruct wildlife rehabilitators on live saving and rehab techniques with reptiles.