Turtles/Alligator snapping turtle indentification/gender

Question
Krampus the turtle
Krampus the turtle  
Hello! I was hoping you could identify the species of my young turtle whom I believe to be an alligator alligator snapping turtle whom I rehomed from an ill suitable environment. I'm not sure of his age, but his shell length is about 2 3/4" long. He has a very large bite span and has spikes on his shell but I'd like to confirm that he really is an alligator snapper. If you can predict his gender that would be awesome as well! Thanks!

Answer
Hi Carley,

Based on your picture, I think it's a common snapping turtle.  Alligator snapping turtles have supramarginal scutes, a small line of scutes between the marginals (scutes on the edge of the shell) and the costals (scutes between the marginals and vetrebrals).  I don't see that in the picture.  Turtles can't be sexed until mature; they all look female until then.

Snapping turtles are a pretty specialized species and require very large accomodations.  If you're not an expert keeper with extensive knowledge and the room to devote to properly keeping the turtle, I'd suggest contacting a rescue or herp society to help you rehome it.  It's a challenging species and definitely not for a novice keeper.  

Turtles

Jeannie