Turtles/Hatchlings

Question
Saw an Eastern Painted turtle laying eggs yesterday on a path I live on. They were laid in a bad spot. How long before they hatch? I want to be there so I can move them to safety.

Answer
Hi Wendy,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner; I was out of town and offline for a few days.

The incubation period is roughly a little over two months, but it can vary quite a bit depending on local temperatures, and could go as long as three months.  You won't know when the eggs hatch until hatchlings begin to emerge from the nest site, so about the best you can do is to keep a close eye on the nest at about the 65 day mark and keep watching it until day 85 if there's been no activity yet.  Don't disturb the nest and don't dig up the eggs.  This is very important, because moving the eggs can kill the hatchlings unless you're very careful.  Good luck, and let me know if I can help further with this.

Turtles

Jeannie