Turtles/Redfoot tortoise feces

My Redfoot is 4 months old now and i am feeding him yellow squash and Nature Zone bites. He loves the bites and eats them everyday. I also try to feed him lettuce. He mostly eats the bites. He used to poop out green and a bit smelling feces but now my poops out yellow colored feces and it doesn't smell and I am worried if there is something wrong with him. He moves around and is very active. So please let me know if I need to take him to a Vet or change something?

Yes, you need to improve his diet.  Stop feeding the bites and get him on a more natural diet. Redfoots are omnivores, and eat a wide variety of foods in nature, so you should feed as much variety as possible.  Base diet should be greens such as dandelion, chicory, kale, collards, turnip and mustard, etc. Limit the lettuce because it's not very nutritious. Feed fruit such as melon, berries, mango or papaya, apples, peaches, etc. 3-4 times a week (no citrus and limit banana).  Also feed veggies such as squash, peppers, mushrooms, carrots, etc. 2-3 times a week. Feed some type of animal protein (pinky mice, superworms, crickets, earthworms, snails, boiled chicken or egg, etc.) once a week to every two weeks. The protein is very important, but don't overdo it. Remember, variety is key. Also put a cuttlebone in the enclosure for him to nibble for extra calcium.  IME young redfoots tend to utilize cuttlebone quite a bit.

You didn't say how you have him setup, but it's very important to maintain a moist, humid environment at his age. The substrate should be mostly or entirely sphagnum moss, kept very moist. Make sure the enclosure is open and airy, but keep the moisture level up. Make sure there's a basking area of about 90 degrees and a source of UVB. I use ZooMed Powersun bulbs for heat and UVB.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.  You may also find this website helpful:

Questions regarding husbandry of Russian tortoises and other Mediterranean species, sulcata, and redfoot tortoises; general tortoise and turtle care; box turtle care. If I can't answer a specific question, I can provide sources for further research. Disclaimer: My advice is not a substitute for vet care. If I think your tortoise/turtle has a specific medical condition or injury that warrants a vet visit, I'll tell you so, and if possible I'll help you locate a vet. It is neither legal nor ethical for me to provide veterinary advice.

I have kept and bred Russian tortoises for over ten years and have other Mediterranean species plus redfoots and box turtles. I've worked with other tortoise and turtle species while doing volunteer rescue work; mostly sulcata but some leopards, California desert tortoises, yellowfoots, all box turtle species, red-eared sliders, etc. I don't personally keep aquatic species, but have access to a wealth of information and research to help you with any questions you might have.

My knowledge is based on hands-on experience keeping, breeding, and working with tortoises and turtles.