Turtles/Strange discoloration on turtle's shell (freshly shed)

Question
Discoloration
Discoloration  

More discoloration.
More discoloration.  
My turtle has a strange light patch in the top of his shell it looks like it's on the same plane as his scoots, but also underneath. It's hard, not fuzzy, and my turtle's additude and spirited hasn't changed. He basks normally, and just short his scoots a week or so ago. Under the scoots was how I discovered it. He did take a tumble before the summer of this year (he escaped over his old basking spot and went over board...he looked and acted unharmed)- but besides that he has a healthy diet of fresh bugs, clean water, veggitation, and his basking lamps. I don't know what could be the problem! He has a 55 G long tank with the temp in the 70s

Answer
Hi Colleen,

It looks like shell rot, possibly old (healed) shell rot, but I see some pinkness that's a little concerning.  Is there any oozing, odor, or softness to the areas?

You may need to make some changes to the tank.  How big is your turtle?  A 55 gallon tank is appropriate for a turtle that's 5-6".  Make sure you have a very good filter; water quality is very important.  What kind of basking and UVB lights are you using?  The basking temperature (under the lamp on the basking surface, not air temperature) should be about 90 degrees, and the water 74-75 degrees.  If there's not enough difference between water and basking temps, the turtle may not bask enough to thoroughly dry out the shell, which can lead to rot.  Make sure your turtle is basking frequently--at least several hours a day.  

You can treat shell rot at home, but if it's old rot you don't need to treat.  If you can post back and answer my questions, then we can figure out what it is and go from there.  

Turtles

Jeannie