U.S. History/Cased flag?

Parker, Christopher wrote at 2009-01-29 16:52:55
Dear sir,

Yes, the US Flag Code does not define what a "cased flag" is, this is true. I served in the US Navy Ceremonial Guard, so lets see if I can answer this question to my ability.

A cased flag is simply that, cased. Either it be, while on a ceremonial staff, wrapped and secured around the staff or folded and put in an actual case itself.

For instance, on military training commands, such as San Diego's ASW, there are flags on short staffs posted by their training command's office to act as both a ceremonial training ground as well as a mock quarterdeck to train for ship boarding. The flags are on staffs no longer than 4 feet and are posted on the wall. Before morning colors and after evening taps they are rolled up and secured. At this time they are not saluted, and you can walk by w/o doing so. During the day, after colors has been initiated, each time you walk by the ensign you HAVE to either salute if in uniform or stop and stand at attention if not in uniform.

I do hope this answered your question :)

Mark Moss wrote at 2009-03-05 12:38:04
In the latest Navy Pride and Professionalism training reads:  "when the ensign is mounted on a vehicle, it is called the national "standard."  Standards are "cased" when they are furled and placed in a protective covering."  Sorry, I don't have a reference at this point but still looking.

Rick wrote at 2009-04-11 03:29:40
As a Navy Security Forces Instructor, this question comes up frequently.  The only clarification in any military manuals have referred to "cased colors" as the flag placed in a protective covering such as a sleeve. None of them have referred to any specific ceremony or reason.

MSgt James Hudson wrote at 2009-06-30 22:22:38
In reference to a cased or furled flag.  A flag is considered cased when it is within a case or covered simply put.  As an Honor Guard we generally practice with our flags cased so individuals do not have to continually stop during our practices for proper military honors.

SSG Flores wrote at 2011-10-26 18:48:08
YES,and a cased flag is one that is folded or covered.

DDog wrote at 2011-11-01 21:45:55
I have found that a flag raided to the top of the mast is cased. So it is not saluted.  However, half mast is not cassed and a salute is rendered.

USMC Flag manual

Brian Ross wrote at 2012-01-24 02:37:11
If I recall my soldier board studies properly, an UNCASED flag is one that is NOT FOLDED.

A tri-folded U.S. flag is considered cased or encased, and does not need to be saluted since it is not flying.  You do not need to salute the triangle-folded flag being carried back to the commander's office.

Soldiers DO have to salute a flying U.S. flag that is on a pole if they pass within a certain distance--from 6 paces before to 6 paces after (I used to salute when taking a shortcut on Fort Richardson--the sidewalk that led to the flag pole in the center of the field).

Check armystudyguide.com

sixft2xds wrote at 2012-12-04 21:16:11
ALL service members are required by regulation to salute the American flag when it passes them or they pass IT.

U.S. History

Joshua Patty

Abraham Lincoln; American Civil War; 19th Century American History; and American Religious History are all expert categories. Can also answer most questions about US Presidents; general American History; American government structure. Lifelong student of American history, especially Abraham Lincoln

Lifelong student of American history, with coursework in American history and government at the college and graduate level.