U.S. History/social contract

chris wrote at 2013-05-03 17:07:04
Mike is wrong in his answer. The social contract was already well established in the Middle Ages. The people understood that they had ultimate sovereignty and that the king was chosen from among the nobles to rule. He clearly had limited power e.g. King John during the time the Magna Carta was penned. Absolute power of kings or Divine right was not established until much later (17th and 18th centuries).

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar