U.S. History/Baby Boomer Communication Profile

Question
Hello Mr.Troy,

I am writing a research paper on the Baby Boomer generation, and I am having trouble figuring out what points to focus on. The assignment is to profile the Baby Boomer generation in detail and explain how someone in the business world would use this information to improve business results. I am not sure if I should only mention business-related information or if I need to tie in everything and then relate it to business. This paper is for my Business Communications class. Could you please help me?

Answer
Hi Vanessa,

Typically, a business would want to have a profile of its customer base, or at least a segment of its customers.  Baby boomers are an age profile, a business might want to understand how to market to them, for example, using music that they like in ads, or perhaps retro packaging that appeals to them.  It would be important to know if they have strong brand loyalty to a product or a competing product, or whether they are open to different brands.  It's also important to know whether this generation even fits a product segment.  For example, if the business sells camping gear, aging  baby boomers may not be a very large part of their market.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy