U.S. History/berlin wall

how did the berlin wall start communism?

The Berlin wall did not start Communism.  Communism existed for many decades before the wall was built.  After WWII, the allies divided Germany.  Communist run Soviet Union was one of the winning Allies, along with the US, Britain, and France.  The Soviets had captured Berlin at the end of the war and continued to control that part of Germany after the war.  The Allies, however, agreed, that all four of them could have soldiers in Berlin, so parts of the city were controlled by American, British, and French soldiers.  

In the years after the war, many East Germans under Soviet rule, particularly the best educated, felt they could live better lives in areas controlled by the Western powers.  The left East Germany and came to West Germany or Berlin to escape Soviet Communist rule.  The Soviets felt the defection of these key citizens would ruin the society they were developing.  So they build walls between East Germany and West Germany as well as a wall around Berlin to prevent its citizens from escaping from Communist rule.  This wall stood for decades and became a symbol of Communist oppression.

- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar