U.S. History/Challenges of Maintaining Liberal Consensus

Question
"What would you say would be the 3 challenges faced in maintaining a liberal consensus from the 30's and into the 60's? I thought that a Conservative Supreme Court, political repression from the red scare, and I can't think of another challenge."

Answer
Hello,

The Red Scare is probably a good one.  The Supreme Court was actually pretty liberal from the late 30's until the 1990's, so I wouldn't use that.  Other issues could be the opposition of the South to Civil Rights, which drove them to supporting conservative Republicans.  Another would be the increase in crime and lawlessness of the 1960's, which eventually contributed to the end of the liberal consensus.

- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy