U.S. History/sam Houston

I have another question ...How reputation and character influence Sam Houston life ?

Sam Houston lived in a time when men were expected to defend their reputations with violence.  Dueling was a common method.  Physical brawls common.  Houston was once accused by a Congressman of conspiring to gain government contracts.  In response, Houston confronted the Congressman on the street and nearly beat him to death.  His decision to leave the US for Texas was likely in part to avoid payment of a civil suit damage award from the beating.  It was also his reputation as a leader that helped him to gain command of the independence movement in Texas and become the first President of the independent Republic.

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar