U.S. History/U.S. History

People become more reliant on paper money in the United States during the late 1800s for all of the following reasons except: A.)bartering became obsolete. B.)only a small percentage of people still farmed. C.)people became more self-sufficient. D.)people had to buy more goods and services.

Hi Caleb,

Actually, you could make an argument that all four answers are wrong.  Bartering still took place in that time.  The percentage of farmers was still quite large.  People were becoming less self-sufficient.  People did not HAVE to buy more goods and services, although they were.

Of the choices given, I would go with C.

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar