U.S. History/Declaration of Independence

Question
Hello, im writing a research paper on the Declaration of Independence. One of the points in my writing was that The Declaration made a drastic statement by addressing America as "One people". How did this line change the perspective of the colonist?

Answer
Hi Alvin,

The Declaration used language of one people and United States at a time when most people in America (and elsewhere) thought of the colonies as 13 separate entities.  Many Patriot leaders thought in important to united the colonies as the British would try to divide them and isolate the most troublesome colonies.  It is not clear how much the Declaration itself convinced many Americans to begin thinking of themselves as a single entity, and how much was just the realistic position that the colonies had to remain untied against Britain to have any chance of success in the War.  More than a decade later, the people were still greatly divided over the issue of created a stronger federal government under the Constitution.  But the Declaration has become an inspirational document which has influenced subsequent generations.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy