U.S. History/Declaration of Independence

Question
Hi,I'm here to see if I can get a few answers from you on the Declaration of Independence.

*How many exact signers were there on the Declaration of Independence?

*Why was there 13 colonies that signed the Declaration?

*Do you know who came up with the idea of creating the Declaration of Independence?

If you could please respond back to me A.S.A.P that would be great! Thank you :)

Answer
Hello,

There were 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence.

The 13 colonies along the east coast of North America constituted all of the settled English Colonies on the Continent.  There were a few more English colonies in Canada, but they had been French Colonies until the 1760's, so they had not formed cultural or political bonds with the other colonies yet and did not participate in the rebellion.

When the Continental Congress voted to be Independent of Britain, they decided jointly as a group that they needed to draft a document declaring their independence and spelling out the reasons why.  A Committee was formed to draft the document: John Adams of Massachusetts, Roger Sherman of Connecticut, Robert Livingston of New York, Benjamin Franklin of Pennsylvania, and Thomas Jefferson of Virginia.  

The committee met to discuss generally what should be in the Declaration, then left it to Jefferson to spend a few weeks actually writing it.  Jefferson got stuck with the job of writing the first draft because he was the junior member of the Committee and was considered to be a pretty good writer.  The Committee then made changes to his draft before submitting the final document to Congress.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy