U.S. History/Travel from SC to TX in 1865 (post war)

What travel options were available to ladies traveling from Columbia, SC, to San Antonio, TX in late 1965?  From what I've read, the railroad had not reached San Antonio at that time. Were there stagecoaches that traveled after the railroad had ended?

Thank you!

You are correct.  There were not railroads to San Antonio until the 1870's.  San Antonio had tried to build a railroad to the Gulf beginning in 1850, but it was never completed and most of its rails were torn up for scrap metal during the War.

There was a stagecoach line from Austin that ran to San Antonio.  A traveler would likely take the railroad from New Orleans to Austin and take a stagecoach from there to San Antonio.  

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar