U.S. History/Battle of Alamo NHD interview Question

Question
Hi Mr. Troy,

My name is Trisha, and I am a 7th grader from Sartartia  Middle School. This year we are doing a project called Remember The Alamo. For this project we must conduct an interview via e-mail with an expert on our topic. For this project I am explaining how the Battle of the Alamo was an important turning point in History. I was hoping to be able to e-mail you some questions on this subject in order for me to gather information to be used for my project.

Thank in advance you for your time and any information you can provide,
Trisha

Question:

1) Why was the Alamo built and who built it?

2) Why did the Mexicans want to capture the Alamo?

3) Why did the Texans lose this battle?

4) What effects did this battle have in Texas history?

5) What happened to Alamo after the battle?

Answer
Hi Trisha,

The Alamo began as a Catholic mission.  This was a location built by Spanish Missionaries as a center from which to operate in converting the natives to Catholicism.  The Spanish Governor of Texas at the time Martín de Alarcón, played a role in the initial structures.  Later, more buildings were added when

The Alamo was the best defensive structure in the region that was trying to rebel from Mexico.  Many of the rebel leaders were inside.  Mexican leaders thought the only way to crush the rebellion was to capture and kill these rebels.

3) Why did the Texans lose this battle?

The Texans were greatly outnumbered.  There was no question that the Mexican Army with ten times as many soldiers as were in the Alamo would defeat them if they made the effort.  The rebels' only hope was to get reinforcements, which unfortunately for them never came.

In later battles, rebel leaders used the Alamo as a rallying cry.  Soldiers fought for revenge for their lost comrades.  It was also a reminder that if they failed or surrendered in battle they might also be killed.  Later, the battle became remembered as a heroic effort by the Alamo defenders, willing to lay down their lives to bring about Texas independence.

Immediately after the battle, the Alamo was used as a medical station for Mexican soldiers wounded in the battle.  It was occupied by soldiers for a short time before the Mexican Army was defeated in the battle of San Jacinto.  After that, the building was occupied again by Texans, although the Mexicans destroyed most of the defenses before abandoning it.  It was used as a military garrison for many years.  It was transferred to the Catholic Church for a time and later sold to the State of Texas.  In the 1890's it was purchased by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas to maintain it as a memorial.   It has remained as a memorial ever since.

- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy