U.S. History/Ku Klux Klan Questions

Hi Steve, my name is Alex Menton and I am contacting you because I have a few questions about the KKK. I would truly appreciate it if you replied ASAP. I am from the North Branch Middle School and am working on History Day.

1: How did the KKK start?

2: When did the KKK start?

3: Was the KKK only against black people? Why?

4: Why did the Ku Klux Klan burn crosses?

Thank you for taking the time to look at this, I hope you can answer soon. Please send your answers to my email. Thanks!

Sincerely, the KKK questioner.

1.  KKK started in 1866 in Pulaski, Tennessee, by seven men bent on limiting the rights of the newly franchised African Americans.  One of the seven was Nathan Bedford Forrest, another was John Kennedy (who gave the organization its name.)

2.  1866

3.  In the 1860s and early 1870s, yes, only against black people.  They were opposed to black people voting, and it was ONLY the blacks that recently got the vote.

4.  They didn't burn crosses in the 1860s and 1870s.  That practice started in the 1920s when the Klan reemerged with a hatred of Jews (who they believed killed Christ.)  Therefore to avenge the blood of Christ the Klan burned crosses, but the Klan quickly got confused and began burning crosses on the lawns of black people as well and of course blacks had nothing to do with the death of Christ.

Hey Bud,

What gives?  You ask a rather detailed question that required my valuable time to answer and you don't even put down your video game controller long enough to read my answer?  Hopefully you won't ever need any further help with other questions because your lazy, apathy just burned bridges with me.  What a waste of my time it was to answer your question and you are too disinterested in the facts surrounding it that you don't even take the time to read the answer.  

Good luck getting through school with those low-levels of curiosity.

U.S. History

Steve Anderson, MA

Any area of American History, EXCEPT military history or economic history, these are not strong points of mine. Areas of particular expertise include the assassination of John F. Kennedy, 19th century women's history, 1950s-1960s popular culture, 1920s, Colonial America, Jacksonian Era, migration west, immigration, ethnic history, presidential decisions, treaties, tariffs, causes and results of wars, and entertainment history since World War II (television, movies, and music.)

Twenty-five years of teaching Advanced Placement American History, Bachelor's and Master's Degrees in American History, thirty post-graduate hours in American History

Member of Phi Alpha Theta--The History Honor Society (November 2001), California Teacher's Association

American History Teaching Credential, Recognized by the University of Chicago as an Outstanding Educator