U.S. History/What Caused The Pueblo Revolt?

This direct quote comes from the introduction:
we questions that scholars have asked of this flawed evidence and the various answers they have read into it reveal much about
history and the making of history. If we define history as what happened in the past, scholars generally agree about the series of events that led up to the Pueblo Revolt. If,however, we think of history as our understand of the past (the past, after all, have vanished and all we have left is our understanding), historians
explanations of the coming of the Pueblo Revolt reveal much about historians own views, methods and imaginations.
what does this quote mean this into your own words. Also, apply this to another great historical event, like The Civil War, or World War II, or even 9/11. How would this apply to the even that you chose? What does this say about history?

Essentially, this quote is pointing out the fact that major events like the Revolt happen for a multitude of reasons and usually as the result of a confluence of events.  Historians tend to simplify these into a single issue or easily understood.  The thousands of people who participated in the revolt probably had thousands of different personal reasons for choosing to participate.  Yet we tend to think of one or a small list of factors that led to the actions.  Some small facts may be forgotten if they are not written down and those who lived them died.   So any historical analysis will inevitably be imperfect.  

Historians, of course, are people with their own personal beliefs and biases.  They frequently apply their own world views based on personal experience to historical events.  For example, if religious expression is important to them, they might focus on the religious repression of the Spanish.  If economics seems more important, they may focus on the taxation and enslavement.  Others may look more at the specific leadership skills of those running the occupation government or leading the revolt.

Applying this to another event in our lifetime, take a look at how historians might view 9/11.  Some might say the attack was simply the result of the religious rage of extremists.  Others might focus on the American military presence in Saudi Arabia, which Al Qaeda claims was the reason for the attacks.  Others might look at it in the context of the end of the Cold War, meaning that other opposition to US world dominance was inevitable.  Others might point to the long term US involvement in the Middle East, from its support of the creation of Israel in the 1940's to its support of various Middle East dictators to its focus on maintaining cheap sources of oil for the world market.  Others might focus on the rise of Islamic militancy as part of the Afghan resistance to the Russian invasion.  Others might just focus on the US Government's lack of foresight in maintaining proper security for domestic air flights.

In short, there are a whole host of reasons one might examine that helped contribute to the 9/11 attacks.  Focusing on any one part might provide some answers but does not really give the whole picture.  

- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar