U.S. History/Question

I'm studying about the settlement of the middle colonies and i have a question that i have to answer for homework and turn it into an essay im not really sure what the question asking me ??? The question is why should English settlement compensate native American land ?

Hi Melissa,

The question seems to be asking why the English people who came to America should pay the Indians for the land they took.  One answer could be that simply stealing the land from the Native Americans without compensation is simply wrong.  Another is that the colonists wanted to remain on good relations with the native population in order to prevent them from becoming resentful and attacking and killing the colonists.  Another reason is that payment helped establish legal title to the land, giving the colonists a better legal claim if their ownership was ever disputed at some later time.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar