U.S. History/World War I-Treaty of Versailles

Question
Who is more to blame--President Wilson or the Senate--for the failure of the United States to ratify the Versailles Treaty?
This might be more of an opinionated question, but I would like to hear what you think.
Thanks!

Answer
The most obvious answer is that the Senate is responsible for the failure, since the President actively campaigned for its passage and the Senate rejected it.  Some might also take issue with the word "blame" since many might argue the Senate should be credited for failing to pass a treaty that would have given up some of US sovereignty to the League of Nations.

There are, of course, things President Wilson could have done to help assure passage.  He could have taken some of the Republican Senate Leaders to Europe with him to participate in the negotiation of the Treaty.  He could have made more efforts to establish better relations with Congress.  He could have sought a less ambitious treaty that would have been more acceptable to Senators.

But in the end, it was the Senate that rejected the Treaty, not the President.

- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy