U.S. History/New England Colonial Houses in the 1800's

I'm interested in knowing what a New England Colonial House looked like in the 1800's.  The picture I have in mind would be of a 2 story house with 5 windows on the top and 4 on the bottom and the front door perfectly aligned in the center.  Do you know what the back of the house would have looked lie?  Any information you can give me would most helpful (this is for a third grade social studies project).  Thank you.

Much like today, there were a wide variety of houses in New England in the 1800's.  Typically they were made out of brick, stone or wood.  The back would also contain multiple windows and a back door, usually from the kitchen.  There might also be a door to the storm cellar, which is where fruits and vegetables could often be stored in a cool dry basement.  It was also common to have a covered porch since in the days before air conditioning, people liked a place outside that was shaded but could enjoy the breezes in the summer.

I hope this help!
- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar