U.S. History/U.S History

What made JFK ask Lyndon Johnson to be his running mate?

Johnson was highly respected as the leader of the Senate.  He came closest to beating Kennedy in the primary than any other candidate.  He was also a southerner who was popular with the more conservative southern Democrats.  The main reason was that Kennedy knew he had to carry most of the south to win the election.  Having Johnson on the ticket would help with that.

- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar