U.S. History/Colonial Period

How did Americans demonstrate unity at some times, and division at other times, through the colonial period through the War of 1812?

For most of the colonial period, the colonies had little to do with one another.  Most trade had to go through England, so there was relatively little direct contact.  It was not until the years leading up to the Revolution that colonial leaders decided to form closer ties to face a possible showdown with Britain.

During the War, the colonies and later States worked toward winning the Revolution and contributed men and money to the effort.  However, States that were not actively in danger of invasion or occupation tended to contribute less.  Still they formed a Continental government and coordinated their efforts.  

After the war ended, the States tended to go their own ways and often viewed each other as competitors rather than partners.  A second movement then began to create a more powerful federal government that would tie the States together.  That movement resulted in the US Constitution.  After that, the States generally remained united.  There was strong national support for President Washington and the federal government generally.  

However, the War of 1812 again divided the country.  New England States suffered most from the war, which they saw as started by a southern President.  At one point they threatened to secede from the Union over the War.  That movement, however, floundered when the war was brought to an end.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar