U.S. History/Indian maidan as our Mascot ,the Eagle was chosen

QUESTION: Good day Mr.Z:

I was reading about American symbols/mascots that mentioned that our Mascot was almost an Anerican Indian Maiden.  What are some of the reason that she was considered to be a Mascot? And where can I read on more info regarding discussion of having an Indian Marden as a mascot.  Sincerely, Ruby Ledbetter an Afro American

ANSWER: Hi Ruby,
In terms the design of the great seal and use of eagle as symbol I have never heard of Indian Maiden being considered. I have heard rattle snakes and turkeys being considered in 1780s

What time period did you find the Indian Maiden considered as symbol?

QUESTION: Thank you Mr. Z for your response. The introduction of this Book on pg. seven (7) , Uncle Sam And Old Glory Symbols of  America (2002), states "Did you know a long long time ago the main symbol for America was an Indian maiden? I am uncertain if this is true or not that is why I asked you this question.  This book is by Delono C. West and  Jean M. West Woodcuts by Christopher Manson.  Thanks  From Ms. Ledbetter

Hi again,
It may have have been consider but I do not see any references to it.  It could not have been of any major historical note. You might want it run it past on of the other experts on the board just in case I missed something. You can try Michael Troy or Tom Schott.
Sorry I was not of more help,  

U.S. History

Paul Edward Zukowski

My area of interest include political, military, social & legal history. I am a generalist. Feel free to ask about anything. I have a strong interest in the history of the state of Connecticut.

I was a member of the History of Hartford Project at Trinity College.
Plus a lifetime of personal study.

Life Experience
A general biography my fit more here so I offer the following. (it appears on on all my profiles) After all who we are affects our opinions or even inadvertently effect of statements of fact. I hold a AS from Eastern Conn. State Univ. and a BA from Trinity College, Hartford Ct. Plus 11 other professional certifications. I have received 31 awards for various activities. My writings published in ?The Other Voice? and other publications. I have had my original music published, licensed and recorded by David Kaye. I have been a guest on CyberRadio & TV and many other talk radio programs. I welcome interviews and I am willing to act as a technical advisor to various media. I am single and have resided in Hartford, Ct. since 1976. I have no children. I am a political conservative with libertarian leanings. I am a registered Republican. I am a Roman Catholic. I have worked in the following areas, entertainment, real estate, mortgage banking, and human services. I have owned 2 businesses. Some of my interests include politics, law, history, and current events.Hobbies I partake in include music, target shooting and cars (my Camaro rumbles) If you wish to find out more about me, feel free to visit my web page PEZmans World
You can find me in many other areas of

Current Events: U.S.
U.S. Politics
Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics
Military Policy & Weapons
Military History
U.S. History
Supreme Court Cases
Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty
Miscellaneous, Serial Murder, Rape, Arson and other sexually motivated crimes
2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms
Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports
Conspiracies & Extremism
Careers: Music
Hartford, Ct.
Trinity College, Hartford, Ct.
Eastern Connecticut State University

Organizations belong to

Cleo of AX Alpha Chi (former Alpha Chi Chapter of DKE)
National Rifle Association
Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Assoc.
Windsor Marksman Assoc.
The Republican Party
The Roman Catholic Church
History of Hartford Project

Publications and Media Appearances

?The Other Voice? published articles.
?The Frogbelly Local? published articles.
?Hey Little Lady? {song} published Americord Records
Talk Radio appearances include;
Mornings with Ushi, CyberRadio & TV, Broadcast in Los Angles CA. worldwide via the internet.
The Lynda Mercer Show on Power Talk WULF 94.3 FM Radcliffe, Kentucky
The Allen Price Show on WRVA Newsradio 1140 AM Richmond, VA
and many more.
I have been a tech advisor to more than a dozen authors.

AS from Eastern Conn. State Univ.
BA from Trinity College
11 other professional certifications

I have received 31 awards and honors for various activities.