U.S. History/u.s. history/before civil war started against fort sumter

Question
what was the cause for the attacking against Fort Sumter? What did Anderson do to be attacked by  Beauregard?

Answer
Hello,

After South Carolina declared independence from the US, it demanded that all federal troops leave the State and turn over all federal forts to the State.  The military commander of Fort Sumter, Major Anderson, had no orders from his superiors to surrender his command.  He decided to pull all of his troops in the Charleston area to the island occupied by Fort Sumter as the best defensive position in the area.  The Union soldiers remained there for several months.  South Carolina refused to allow any supply ships to approach the fort.  The assumption was that eventually the soldiers would run out of food and be forced to surrender.

When President Lincoln took office in March, he decided to try to send a resupply ship to the fort with provisions and informed the Governor of South Carolina of his decision.  The Confederates then decided to open fire on the fort before the supply ships could arrive.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy