U.S. History/lexington and concord

Question
Hi, so I'm doing a project on Lexington an concord and through the research I've done it says that these battles triggered the actual war. I was wanting to know if there is any truth to this statement. also What happened at the North Bridge?

Answer
Hi Anthony,

The battles as Lexington and Concord were the first major violent acts between British soldiers and the colonists that looked like a real battle (unlike earlier conflicts that were more like mob riots).  It is the action which probably finally prompted the Continental Congress to approve the creation of the Continental Army and to put George Washington in charge of it.  An army raised to resist the British probably would not have been created at that time had it not been for those battles.

The North Bridge in Concord was one of several locations where local civilians formed into a militia fought with British regulars who were searching for weapons to confiscate or destroy.  Several hundred militia fought a pitched battle with the British who were forced to pull back under heavy fire.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy