U.S. History/Robert E. Lee Photo

Question
Robert E. Lee
Robert E. Lee  

Signature
Signature  
I have a photo that belonged to a great aunt born in the 1800's who passed down this photo years ago.
It is a photo of General Robert E. Lee. The original photo was taken by Matthew Brady on April 16, 1865. It is signed by Lee and R. E. Lee. Can you give me any information as to the value or where I can find value.
I have attached a copy of photo.
Thanks so very much.

Answer
Hello,

I am not an appraiser and cannot give a terribly accurate estimate of value.  Also, without having more detailed information about the condition or origination of this item, it would be hard to guess.

If the photo is a contemporary copy made in the 1860's or 1870's, that would likely make it worth at least a few hundred dollars, since it appears to be in reasonably good condition.  If the signature is an actual original signature of Lee, that would be quite valuable, probably fetching somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-25k.

You might want to consider taking it to an auction house or to a few historical memorabilia dealers to get someone with an expert eye to evaluate it.  It definitely could be worth something, but a professional appraiser really needs to look at it to give you a better idea.

- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy