U.S. History/Travel west to east 1840-1850

Question
How could one travel from Sacramento/San Francisco to New Orleans.  Thank you.

Answer
There was no easy way to get there.  The most direct route was horseback.  One could take a series of stage coaches or wagon trains that traversed the area.  But that meant crossing mountains, deserts, and dangerous Indian territories.  The travel was slow, sporadic, dangerous, and expensive.

The other option was to travel by sea.  Ocean voyages were faster and safer, but the distance was much longer.  One would have to take a ship that traveled all the way around the southern tip of South America and back up the other side.  The other option was taking a ship to Panama, making the short passage overland via horse or mule (very dangerous due to yellow fever infections) then catching a ship heading north.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy