U.S. History/the american revolution

what was the reason for the British to take rule of the 13 colonies

By the time of the Revolution, British had ruled most of the colonies for more than a century.  Most of the colonies were founded by British subjects under the authority of the King.  They had royal charters governing them or at least had British land contract justifying and defining their existence.  A few of the colonies had belonged to other countries at one time.  NY had once been Dutch.  Delaware had been Swedish.  But Britain had long asserted control through its military and they had been under British rule for several generations.

So by the time of the Revolution, there was no question that the British ruled the colonies.  The only dispute was over the division of power between Parliament and the Colonial legislatures on matters of taxation and some internal regulation.  But even the Colonial legislatures believe their ultimate loyalty was to the King of England.

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar