U.S. History/Ellis Island Immigration

Question
I am doing a project on Ellis Island, the requirements of the immigrants, and the overall process. I was wondering if you could tell me some of the things that would get you sent back, or that didn't meet the requirements. Thank you very much!

Answer
Immigrants that passed through Ellis Island generally made it through without too much difficulty.  In fact about 90% of all potential immigrants were processed and were welcomed into the country.  The main things that would prevent one'[s successful entrance would be carrying a contagious illness (such as small pox).  Or if their paperwork had not been filled out properly in their country of origin.  Also, if the person clearly had physical handicaps that would prevent them from seeking gainful employment once inside the country.  That factor is still an issue today.  Too often Latin American immigrants come to America and have no marketable skills and little or no education and come here simply to live off of the American welfare system.  This hurts the economy and doesn't help it.  We welcome immigrants from ALL nations that can work, pay their taxes, and carry their share of the load.  But immigrants that come here primarily to live off the labors of others are not welcome and should remain in their own countries until they are willing and able to work, pay their taxes, and contribute to society.

Good luck with your studies.

S. Anderson

U.S. History

Steve Anderson, MA