U.S. History/history

Question
QUESTION: i have the answers what i think they would be but i need to make sure if these are right okay here are the answers and what i think might be right .
what did the Massachusetts mean when he wrote the colony should be like a city upon a hill?
 a) he meant it literally; that the colony should be established on high ground
b) he meant that the colonists needed to be alert for danger.
c) he meant that the eyes of the world would be upon the colonists; that they should set an example for mankind
d) all of the above
e) only a and b
-I think this is c , but it would also make sense for it to be B. but if b, and c make sense then it has to be D right?

------------------------------------------------------------------
2) which of these was a crime punishable by death in the 17th century of Massachusetts?
okay here are the answers and what i think might be right .
a) witchcraft b)blasphemy c)sodomy d) a child over the age of 16 cursing at his parents e) all of the above
okay so i found a , b, c to be correct , but i never found the child one. So I'm guessing it has to be e right? But now that i look at it i would go with A . But i just want to make sure .
3rd- what did the law require parents and men to do regarding children?
a) make sure they were properly fed and clothed
b)make sure they had sufficient rest and recreation
c) make sure they were trained in religion
d) make sure they were taught to read and write
e) both c and d
okay so i think it may be E , am i right?
4) what was the second offense punishment for "opposers of the word?" for the colonial laws of Massachusetts
a)whipping
b)banishment
c) a fine of five pounds
d) two hours standing on a block or stool with a sign attached identifying the offender as an open and obstinate contemner
e) c or d
I think it may be B, but im not sure what the question is really talking about.
5) which of these was a law regarding the ministry ? in the section of the colonial laws of Massachusetts
a) the people of a town were required to pay taxes of the house
b) the people of a town were required to pay taxes to be a minister
c) a person could be fined for failure to attend church services
d) all of the above
i think this has to b a since we all do it now. But not sure if the others were required in the past

ANSWER: 1. C - The "city upon a hill" is a Bible quote that Jonathan Winthrop used to describe the Massachusetts Bay colony.  He meant the world would be watching to see if the Colony could be an example to the world of living Christian values.

2. E - All of the above.   All of these crimes are listed in the Bible as being subject to the death penalty.  The Puritans took that very seriously.

3. E (I think).  I don't have list of all laws in front of me, but I know that there was a law requiring children to be taught to read and write so that everyone would be able to read the Bible.   Parents were also obligated to provide religious guidence.

4. B - Opposers of the word were people who disagreed with the Colony's religious views (i.e. they opposed the word of God).  They were banished from the Colony to keep in pure.  For many, this meant death since they could not survive by themselves in the wilderness.  But many others were settled in what later became Rhode Island.

5. D (I think).  I know there were fines for failing to attend Church.  I also know that towns levied taxes to pay for a minister.  I'm not exactly sure what they are saying in A - whether it refers to property taxes generally, or for taxes on the house of the minister, but in either case, that would be correct, so I would go with all of the above.

I hope this helps!
- Mike

QUESTION: here are five more sets of multiple questions

1) which holiday or festival was it unlawful to celebrate ? in the colonial laws of Massachusetts.
a) Easter b)Christmas c) new year's day d) the winter solstice
I'm guessing this would be c? Because we celebrate b, a, and d is not holiday here anyways so thats why i chose c

2) this the the heretic error section of the colonial laws of massachusetts. For which of these offenses could a person be banished?
a) denying the immortality of the soul
b) attempting to subvert or destroy the christian faith
c) denying jesus christ as a savior
d) refusing to baptize children
e) all of the above
i think this has to be E. because everything else makes sense

3) the heretic error - section of the colonial laws of massachusetts. What could be the penalty for denying the bible as the written and infallible
a) whipping b)fine c)death d)banishment e)both a and b
i think this has to be E but im not sure

4) the heretic error - section of the colonial laws of massachusetts. what was the penalty for knowingly bringing Quakers into the colony?

a) 100 pounds fine or prison b)death c)whipping d)banishment
I think this might be c whipping

5) the heretic error - section of the colonial laws of massachusetts.
what was to be done to any quakers who entered the colony?
a) they were to be apprehended
b) they were to be imprisoned
c) they were to be banished upon penalty of death
d) all of the above
i think this is D

Answer
1 - B. Massachusetts outlawed the celebration of Christmas.  The holiday was celebrated in Britain, but the Puritans that founded the colony found it to be an abomination tied to closely to the practice of Roman Catholicism.

2 - I would go with E as well.

3. - The law says that denial should lead to imprisonment and fine, but it also says that if the individual continues to deny the truth of the Bible even after imprisonment or fine, that the individual may be banished or put to death.  So all answer choices are correct.

4 - A. Punishment was fine of 100 pounds.

5 - D is correct.  

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy