U.S. History/history

QUESTION: here are the next 5 questions :)
what made Quakers different from other christian sects?
a) they dressed and lived simply
b) they treated men and women equally
c) unpaid quaker ministers had no prepared sermons; they sat quietly until moved to speak by an "inner light"
d) they denounced slavery.
e) all of the above
i think this is E.

what punishment did the massachusetts puritan authorities inflict on imprisoned quakers ?
a) they branded them
b) they whipped them with knotted cords
c) they bored or thrust holes in their tongues with hot irons
d) they cut of their ears
e) all of the above
is this E also?

What beliefs regarding religion did roger Williams profess? in his book the bloudy tenet for persecution
a) that civil authority should be limited to material matters only (not religious)
b) that no one should be persecuted for their religious beliefs
c) that the kind had no right to patent (give) Indian lands to the colonist
d) all of the above
is this B?

what was roger williams punishment for his beliefs ?
a) execution b)whipping and branding c)banishment d) afine
is this c?
on the first p;age of Rhode island's 1663 was applicable to:
a) all Christians in general
b) members of all religions, including jews and Muslims
c) only members of the church of England
d) only roman Catholics
I'm stuck on between a , and d

ANSWER: 1 - I believe E, all are correct.
2 - Also E, I know at least several of the answers are correct.
3 - D. Williams supported all of these.
4 - C. Williams was banished from Massachusetts, and went on to live in what became Rhode Island.
5 - Sorry, I'm not sure what this question means.  If this is a reference to the 1636 charter, it did provide religious freedom to all.  Even Jews settled int eh colony.  So you probably want B.

- Mike

QUESTION: oh i posted the last question wrong oops!
but it was on the first page of rhose idlands 1663 charter it says that
a) no one could belong to any church but the church of england
b) quakers were forbiden to live in the colony
c) that jews were forbidden to live in the colony
d) that no one would be punished for his or her religious beliefs or opinions

marylands' religious toleration act of 1649 was applicable to ;
a) all christians in general
b) members of all religions, including jews and muslims
c) only members of the church of enlgand
d) only roman catholics
i think this is a

what did william penn say about his religion? in the pennsylvania charter
a) that as long as a person professed a belief in god, he or she could live in the colony and enjoy religious liberty, provided he or she was also a christian
b) that only quakers were permitted to live in pennsylvania
c) that the church of england was the established church of pennsylvania
d) that on the first day of each week people were not to perform of any work
e) both a and d
is this e?
in franklins "dialogue between two Presbyterians," what was mr h (hemphill doing, which disturbed the character known as t?
a) preaching that faith alone was sufficient for salvation
b) preaching that the "duties of morality" were as necessary as faith for salvatio
c) saying that jesus was not devine
d) saying that regular church attendance was unnecessary
is this b?
in franklins "dialogue between two Presbyterians," which of these statements is attributable to "s?" "s" was the character whose opinion was franklin's
a) if mr.h is Presbyterian teacher, he ought to preach as Presbyterians use to preach; or else he may justly be condemned and silenced by out churches authority
b)if the majority of the synod be against any innovation, they may justly hinder the innovator from preaching
c) morality or virtue is the end, faith only means to obtain that end. and if the end be obtained, it is no matter by what means
d) a virtuous heretic shall be saved before a wicked christian
e) both c and d above

is this a ??

Rhode Island's charter guaranteed religious freedom, so D is correct.

The best answer is A, although many would argue that Unitarians of the day should be considered Christians and were not covered by Act.  The act only protected Trinitarian Christians, which covers most Christian sects.

I don't think there is a good answer for the next one.  B & C are definitely wrong as Pennsylvania was clear established to be open to many religions.  A is wrong because non-Christians were welcome under the Charter.  They only could not hold office.  But Jews did settle in Pennsylvania early on and were protected under the Charter.  D. is wrong since the Charter says nothing about not working on the Sabbath.  There were Sabbath laws in the colony, but they are not in the Charter.

For Franklin's Dialogue, I think B. is correct.  T was disturbed about H's preaching on morality.

I think the answer for the last question is E.  The line about the virtuous heretic is taken directly from the conclusion.  Morality or Virtue being the end is the whole point of S's argument.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar