U.S. History/National History Day

Question
Can you tell me a little about women voting rights, like any leading figure or how long it lasted. I would also like to know about why they wanted the right.
Thank you in advance.

Answer
The movement in the US for women's right to vote was a natural outgrowth of the Jacksonian Era movement to grant the vote to most free adult men.  Before then, only men who owned significant amounts of property could vote in most States.  During the early 1800's these restrictions were largely abolished.

There had been advocates of female suffrage all along.  There is a famous letter from Abigal Adams to her husband John requesting he consider the rights of women to vote.  But most historians point to the Seneca Falls Convention of 1848 as the beginning of a widely organized formal movement.  Even then, many activists were pressured to put the movement on hold to allow more focus on the abolition of slavery.  Once slavery was abolished at the end of the Civil War in 1865, the women's movement gain more focus.

Key movement leaders included Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Lucy Stone, and Susan B. Anthony.  Alice Paul was another leader in the later part of the movement.  Several States granted women the right to vote over the next few decades.  But the right was formally secured for all by Constitutional Amendment in 1920.

Women wanted the right to vote for the same reason anyone else does.  They wanted to make sure their interests were represented in the government.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy