U.S. History/history

Question
While Jefferson was limited in his ability to dismantle the entire federalist structure once he entered office, he did keep his promise to whittle away at the federalist system and support republican values. What was he able to do to roll back federalist achievement and support the republican vision of government and society.

Answer
I disagree with your premise that Jefferson was limited in his ability.  He had strong majorities in both the House and Senate for his entire administration.  He could have repealed pretty much anything he wanted.  In fact, many members of his own party in Congress wanted him to do more.

That said, Jefferson did reverse course on some things.  For example, his party opposed many government taxes.  He repealed the Whiskey tax, which had been particularly unpopular in the west.  He also reduced the size of the Army and Navy.  He reversed laws that made it more difficult for foreigners to become US Citizens.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy