U.S. History/native americans in PA

Sir,  I am doing research on native American Indians in PA, around the Gettysburg area.  The time line I am interested in is 1700s (around the Mary Jemison era).  I am looking for the name of the tribe that might have been here.  I hope you can help me.
thank you.    
 Dotty/CW re-enactor/living historian
 Daniel Lady Farm

Hi Dotty,

The area around Gettysburg was traditionally a border area between the Shawnee and the Susquehannok tribes.  The Susquehannok were pretty much wiped out by the 1760s though and the Shawnee had been mostly pushed back into Ohio.  The Shawnee were eventually resettled in Oklahoma in the early 1800's.

For more info on both tribes, you may find this web site helpful:

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar