U.S. History/Underage enlistment in the Confederacy

Question
I am researching a Confederate soldier's record on Fold3.com that states he enlisted Aug 1861 at age 17, but was discharged "by Act of Congress and final statements given at Tupelo Miss July 16, 1862."  Do you know what this Act was, and did it have to do with his being under age?

Thank you,
Pat

Answer
It could be age related.  The minimum age was 18, although this was regularly overlooked.  Estimates are that more than 20% of all Civil War solders were under the age of 18.  By 1864, the draft age was even lowered to 17.  There are records of children as young as 8 who served (primarily as drummer boys).  The age law was widely ignored, but if the soldier wanted out, or his parent came and demanded his release, the fact that he was under 18 would be grounds for release.  

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy