U.S. History/George Washington and David Farnsworth (Loyalist)

Good evening,
I am researching my family genealogy and my 7x Great Grandfather who was born in 1711 held the name of David Farnsworth. He married a woman named Hannah Hastings. I believe George Washington had a man with the same name as my 7x Great Grandfather and I am wondering if you can help to find out if my 7x Great Grandfather was the same David Farnsworth that was hung? Thanks.

The David Farnsworth who was hanged as a loyalist spy is not a direct ancestor, but it sounds like he is your 7x great Uncle.  The David Farnsworth who was hanged as a spy in 1778 was only 18 years old at the time of his death.  He never married nor had children.  However, David's father was also named David.  The father was born in 1711 and was married to Hannah Hastings.  

You can read more in this text available online from "History of Charlestown, NH - Fort No. 4" by Rev. Henry H. Saunderson (1876).

You may find it interesting as it provides much more details about this branch of the family.

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar